Keep Learning: Remote Learning Resources For Students
Pages within this section:
* Information on how to access College of Engineering computer resources from remote locations can be found in these pages
Links within this page:
- Access to software applications
- Remote access to computer labs
- Adobe apps for students
- Free and reduced-cost internet options
ETS has arranged with vendors to permit downloads of their software on students’ personal machines. The list of applications with this approval and instructions for downloading can be found at http://ets.osu.edu/Software.
Using the correct license for Zoom
Students should log in to CarmenZoom.osu.edu to use the Zoom application for online learning. This will ensure that the Zoom account is associated with Ohio State's license. Failure to use Ohio State's license may result in sessions being disconnected after a certain amount of time.
If your Zoom account profile does not state that your account type is 'Education' or if you are getting disconnected after 40 minutes on Zoom sessions, the following steps can be taken to make sure that your account is associated with the Ohio State Zoom license.
- Log out of the Zoom desktop client
- Open an incognito window in your web browser (In Chrome, this is in the File menu.)
- Navigate to https://carmenzoom.osu.edu
- Click Sign In and log in with your Ohio State credentials.
- You will be asked if you want to switch to Ohio State’s license. Click yes to this and any subsequent agreements.
ETS is enabling all the College’s teaching labs for remote desktop access by students to the systems and software.
- Downloading and using Pulse Secure VPN to connect to CoE-Net
- Accessing shares and home drives from personal devices when connected to Pulse Secure VPN
- Remote access to lab computers
- Information on setup or how to change DUO multifactor push configuration
MacOS guides for remote access/VPN
Ohio State's Keep Learning website, https://keeplearning.osu.edu/learning-tools, is a great resource for students to transition to online instruction.
- Adobe has provided students licenses for Adobe Creative Cloud products to help address the loss of access to computer labs.
- This license also unlocks some features and access for the iPad apps including access to Photoshop for the iPad.
- The software may be accessed by visiting https://creativecloud.adobe.com and following these steps:
- Select “Sign in with Adobe ID”.
- Select “Sign in with an Enterprise ID”.
- Enter your name.n@OSU.edu email address under “Email address or domain name”. Press done or tab on your keyboard or “tab” and the Ohio State Log-in page will load before you enter a password. If this does not happen because of mistyping your email address, close out of the process and start over.
- Log in with your Ohio State Username and Password.
- Authenticate your account with BuckeyePass (Duo).
- For instructors, as you plan around remote teaching, please keep in mind that some students will not have access to PCs appropriate to run the adobe software. (System requirements are here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html#Desktopapplications)
- More information from Adobe's website, including Terms and Conditions: Adobe Enables Student Creative Cloud Access from Personal Devices until May 31st
While Ohio State does not promote or endorse any specific vendor, College of Engineering students may find some of the options being offered by internet service providers helpful. A list of companies offering specials can be found here.